Friday 28 December 2012

More stuff about 2012

Some things that happened this year:

 - I deactivated Facebook

 - I discovered the Golden Syrup and Chocolate varieties of Weetabix.

 - I hardly wrote anything with a pen and on paper

 - I noted that some people look at me with sympathy when I wear my bobble hat

 - I stopped doing two spaces after full stops

 - I got a lot more relaxed about a lot of things

 - But I confronted some people when they'd pissed me off

 - (example) I stared at the girl who served me in KFC until she returned my 'Hello'

 - I don't have a designated writing space anymore.

The last one isn't strictly true - I do still have the space, I just don't use it. In April I bought a netbook so I could take my writing around with me, and since then, even when I'm at home, I don't use the desk anymore. I didn't think this would happen. At my desk there is a computer and also a bit of space (if I shove things) to write on paper.  I have things around me that I like, there are some pictures of those things here.

I liked having that space to sit and think. But I suppose I wasn't that loyal to it after all.

Now I sit on the sofa, cross-legged, a cuppa at my side. 

Or I sit in a cafe, cuppa at my side (what I'm doing now).

I might reclaim that space this year. Might need to have a re-think and a re-arrange to make it feel new and fresher. More fresh. The freshiest.

It would be nice to have a whole room (of one's own) one day but I'm not yearning for it, not really. What I need more than physical space is mental space, head space. I can sit somewhere busy and manic and write as long as there is freedom in my mind, that's what belongs to me, and that's what I try to claim for myself.

What about you? Where do you write?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write on my laptop on the living room sofa, cuppa at my side. Or by pen in my notebook, on train journeys. I think I need head space more than physical space too, though I find the former feeds the latter for me.

Teresa Stenson said...

Hey, do you mean the latter feeds the former? Like having the physical space helps the head space? If so I know what you mean. Tidy room, tidy mind (I often chant).